Don't Miss a Thing With Our New-Website Pre-Launch Checklists
It’s not uncommon for new websites to be ‘sent live’ with pages marked ‘under construction’ and products missing important images – and so on. Launching a website ‘half baked’ sends the wrong message to new visitors and increases the risk of losing initial visitors forever due to frustration.
Beyond design, and with a content focus, here's a comprehensive checklist of tasks to help you prepare your new website for launch.
Top 10 must-do tasks before launching an online shop
- Payment methods determined and set up, i.e. PayPal, credit card, EFT, etc.
- Shipping rates determined and set up within CMS
- Page, product and Meta data content entered for every page
- Automated customer order email notification text entered into CMS
- Create Google Analytics account and enter Analytics code into CMS
- Create Google Webmaster tools account
- Ensure web designer has created, and uploaded, xml sitemap for SEO
- Prepare list of blog subjects and determine publish frequency
- Establish relevant social media accounts such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Gather up existing or new domain name registry key and password information
Web page checklist:
- Customer service: contact and information regarding problem solving and FAQs
- Refunds & Warranty: your policies and procedures
- Shipping & Returns: shipping rates, returns policies and information
- About us: discussion about your organisation and what you provide
- Contact us: phone number (omitting a phone number can impact credibility) and address including Google map
- Terms & Conditions: general website use terms and conditions
Page content checklist
- Up to 450 words per page, with content broken down into sections where applicable
- 'Weighted' keywords within page heading/s and paragraph/s
- Correct use of page Headings and heading tags (‘Heading 1’, ‘Heading 2’, etc.)
- Use of bold type emphasis to highlight key messages across all pages
- Use of bullet points (limit to 5-7 points per group) to aid users who ‘skim read’
SEO Meta data checklist
- Unique Page Title for each page describing content on the page, not the website as a whole
- Unique Meta description for each page describing content on the page, not the website as a whole
- Unique Meta keywords for each page describing content on the page, not the website as a whole
Shop & e-commerce checklist
- Shop categories: brief introduction and supporting images for every category page
- Shop products: detailed copy including specifications, dimensions, etc. and supporting images
- Every product has a unique identification/code
- Every product has a price
- Credit card merchant account approved by preferred bank Bank authorisation key entered into CMS preferences
- Alternative payment methods nominated
- Direct bank deposit BSB and Account numbers entered into CMS
- GST and taxation preferences configured
- Custom email notifications message entered into CMS using a 'friendly customer service tone'
- Gift wrapping preferences set
- Countries selected for preferred shipping destinations
- Shipping preferences configured within CMS, i.e. shipping rates, flat rates, etc.
- Product weight and shipping preferences configured per product or globally across entire shop
- Cross-sell links nominated for every product
Don't Miss Anything
Get email updates when the next blog is posted.
Everything you need for online success